Young boys are rough and tough, and their toys need to be just as durable. When 5-year-old boys play with their toys, they don’t pull any punches – they really put them through the wringer.
In order to find the best toys for 5-year-old boys, compare the top ten toys in our table, then scroll down for useful buying information and reviews of our five favorite toys.
Top 10 Toys for 5 Year Old Boys Comparison Chart
How Do I Choose a Toy for a 5-Year-Old Boy?
When you’re an adult, it can be intimidating to pick out a toy for a small child. Things have changed so much since you were a kid. You don’t know what kids these days are into.
Here are some tips for picking out the best toys for 5-year-old boys. If you follow these guidelines, your toy will be sure to bring a smile to the recipient’s face.
- Look at the Boy’s Interests. Typically, 5-year-old boys like things that keep them active or make noises. But some boys prefer books and puzzles to trucks and soccer balls. Your best bet is finding out what his interests are and sticking to those.
- Watch the Age Guidelines. Make sure you don’t buy a toy that’s too babyish or too adult for a 5-year-old. Toys come with age guidelines which help you determine if a toy will be suitable for any particular age of child.
- Pay Attention to Safety. At this age, you still have to avoid toys that could wind up hurting a small child. Stay away from anything that has toxic components since 5-year-old boys aren’t known for playing it safe when it comes to following all the rules a toy might have. You should also stay away from laser lights because some have been shown to hurt eyes if they are improperly used.
- Let Them Use Their Imagination. Little kids have great imaginations that they love to use. Find a toy that lets a boy’s imagination soar and you can’t go wrong. They’ll love pretending their day away.
- Keep Them Active. Many experts say young kids don’t get enough exercise. To help in that department, find a toy that will require some physical activity. Letting kids indulge in activity will make them happier, more relaxed and healthier, which is something to consider when you’re deciding between a video game or a Frisbee.
- Watch for a Toy That Will Grow with the Child. The best toys are ones that can be cherished for years. By finding toys that are suitable for a wide range of ages, your gift will be sure to stand the test of time.
Top 5 Best Toys for 5 Year Old Boys Reviews
Little boys will love playing dress up with this camouflage combat vest. Whether they’re pretending to be in the Army or using it as a practical piece they can store their darts in, they’ll feel like the real deal in this vest.
The vest has fully adjustable straps, which means year after year, boys will be able to get use out of this gift. When they hit the Nerf gun stage, they’ll be able to keep their accessories handy while they’re having dart gun wars with their friends.
It’s a sturdy well-made vest that will put up with all the punishment your child can dish out. It will keep up with him whether he’s crawling through the grass, climbing up trees or running through the woods.
This vest features lots of pockets and compartments that any boy would love to fill.
This toy features interlocking rings that have the same connecting angles that crystals, DNA molecules and atoms have. By fastening each ring onto one another, little boys will have big fun creating whatever comes into their minds. They can build planes, trees or cars – they are only limited by their imagination.
The rings feature bright colors that boys will love, like orange, blue and green.
Each pack includes 200 building rings and a guide to get kids started. If you have a kid who loves to build, but isn’t great at coming up with his own designs, the imagination guide will be helpful. It features 14 creations your child can work on. Seeing those creations might spark some of his own as well.
The rings hold up well to vigorous play. They won’t snap or warp even after repeated uses.
What little boy doesn’t love Hot Wheels? Whether they use them outside on the driveway or inside on tracks, Hot Wheels have been a popular gift for decades and that won’t change anytime soon.
Any boy who likes cars will love this set which includes nine Hot Wheels cars. Plus, one of those cars is guaranteed to be an exclusive car that can’t be bought anywhere else.
The cars are made with real die-cast parts. This pack offers a nice variety of colors and body styles – boys will be sure to each have their own favorite.
The boy who receives these will have a good time showing them off to his friends. These cars will all work on Hot Wheels loops and tracks.
They’re durable so they’ll last collision after collision without being chipped up or dented.
If the 5-year-old boy you’re buying for idolizes firemen, he’ll love this dress-up set. He’ll look just like a mini version of a real firefighter.
He’ll receive a fireman’s jacket, helmet, badge, fire extinguisher, bullhorn and name tag with this set. The bullhorn isn’t just for show either – it makes actual noise and uses batteries.
If the jacket gets dirty from its owner putting out too many fires, it can be cleaned in the washing machine. The accessories are easily wiped clean with a wet cloth.
If this is being used for a Halloween costume, it will keep him safe on the dark sidewalks and streets. It has reflective tape on the jacket so he’ll be visible to cars whether he’s trick-or-treating or just playing outside in the evening.
If you’re a parent who is tired of stepping on Legos, this building alternative won’t leave you wincing in pain if you walk on them. These brain flakes come in a pack of 500 pieces and they can be used to make beautiful and awe-inspiring creations.
This is one of the best toys for 5-year-old boys because they’ll love how easy it is to interlock these plastic discs. They’ll be drawn to the multiple, bright colors that are featured in the set. With so many pieces and possibilities, they’ll never have to build the same thing twice.
To help boys get a feel for what they can make with this set, it comes with an idea booklet that gives instructions on how to build a brain flakes ball.
For parents who are worried about safety, the brain flakes are BPA, lead, phthalate and heavy metal free.