If getting your child to brush her teeth is a constant struggle, you need to call in the reinforcements.
The best way to make sure your child is brushing her teeth vigorously enough to clean all the food and plaque off is by finding the best electric toothbrush for kids.
Let our guide do all the research for you. First, compare the top ten electric toothbrushes that work best for kids, then scroll down for useful buying information as well as reviews of our three favorite electric toothbrushes.
Top 10 Electric Toothbrushes for Kids Comparison Chart
What to Look for in Electric Toothbrushes for Kids
When you buy electric toothbrushes for kids, you need to consider several factors.
- Do They Let Kids Know How Long to Brush? Dentists recommend brushing your teeth for two minutes in the morning and at night. But little kids can have a hard time gauging how long that is. If you don’t want to stand watch for those two minutes to make sure it’s being done, you can find electric toothbrushes that play music for a full two minutes and have 30-second alarm intervals that signal when it’s time to move onto another section of the mouth.
- Do They Look Appealing to Kids? Kids want things to look fun – even their toothbrushes. You’ll want to look for their favorite characters or fun colors on any toothbrush you find. They’ll be more enticed to keep using it.
- Whether You Want a Replaceable Brush Head. This is a matter of personal preference. Sometimes adults will want their kids to have a new toothbrush whenever the old one is worn out because they can get kind of scummy-looking over time. Other parents will only want to replace the brush head.
- What Age Group You’re Looking For? If you want to make sure you get the best electric toothbrush for kids, you should get one that will work for their current age. Many toothbrush companies have various sizes, including stages for toddlers, pre-schoolers and elementary school children.
- Are the Bristles Soft? Electric toothbrushes for kids should have soft bristles. You don’t want kids to equate brushing their teeth with pain because they won’t want to do it anymore. Hard bristles will hurt their tender, sensitive gums so you’ll want to stick with soft bristles.
Top 3 Best Electric Toothbrush for Kids Reviews
This toothbrush is one of the contenders for the best electric toothbrush for kids. It comes in multiple colors, so both boys and girls will enjoy it. It also comes with different kinds of stickers your child can decorate the front with to personalize it.
It has two different power modes kids can use. They are both gentle, but the more powerful mode is a good choice for kids who are a bit older who want their teeth cleaned a little more aggressively.
It’s also waterproof, which means your child will be safe when using it. To keep your kids entertained and hopefully brushing longer, the toothbrush can play music.
With a 2-minute timer, your kids will always know when they should stop brushing. Plus, this toothbrush has 30-second reminders that can help your child know when they should move on to another section of their mouths.
These toothbrushes have 8,800 oscillations per minute, so your child will have all the power he needs to blast plaque off his teeth.
This toothbrush combines a basic everyday duty with technology in an effort to make your kids want to brush their teeth. If anything can make brushing teeth cool, it’s this interactive free app.
But if you don’t like the idea of using an app, the toothbrush works just fine without it too.
The Philips Sonicare is Bluetooth-enabled and it delivers 500 strokes per second, which makes it a better choice than manual toothbrushes for children who get a bit lazy when it comes to moving the toothbrush around.
A timer will help your child get the full two minutes of brushing time that most dentists recommend. A KidPacer feature will help your child realize when it’s time to move onto a different section of their teeth.
Your child will also get a lot of sticker choices with this toothbrush so he can decorate it any way he wants.
Kids aren’t the best brushers in the world. They can skip teeth they don’t see very well and focus more on the front ones they do see. But with this toothbrush, they’ll give more attention to each one because it has a head that envelops each tooth for a thorough cleaning.
It also has a waterproof handle so your kids will be safe when they use it.
If your kids are one of the millions who love the Frozen franchise, they’ll love this toothbrush.
The Disney Magic Timer App on this toothbrush will let your kids know when they’ve brushed for the full 2 minutes.
To help you figure out when your child should replace the toothbrush head, this toothbrush has indicator bristles that will fade halfway when it’s time, which is usually about every three months.